Did you know that:
- medical care in Santa Cruz jails was outsourced to a for-profit company in 2012?
- since this company, California Forensic Medical Group (CFMG), took over in 2012, there have been multiple preventable deaths in the Santa Cruz Main Jail, most recently in September 2015?
- CFMG has a track record of poor care all over California; “CFMG’s population-adjusted rate for such deaths is about 50 percent higher than in other county jails.”
- the Santa Cruz Civil Grand Jury has issued 3 special reports since 2013 regarding medical care in the jails, highlighting issues of inadequate oversight?
- the contract with CFMG is about to be renewed for another 4 years at the Board of Supervisors meeting THIS TUESDAY, September 13, 2016?
While improvements have been made since the last tragic death in our jails, effective oversight of medical care is still a major issue. The current system lacks transparency and disempowers patients. Sin Barras, a local Santa Cruz activist group, invites you to show your support for humane treatment of imprisoned people by:
- Asking the Board of Supervisors and Sheriff’s Office to implement an independent medical feedback tool actively seeking input and suggestions from people in custody about the medical care they receive.
- Sharing your own or a loved one’s story of medical care in our jails.
- Sharing your ideas for solutions.
Show your support for treating people in custody as human beings who do not deserve to have their health damaged due to inadequate medical care by:
- Attending the September 13 Board of Supervisors meeting and speaking during public comment
- Adding a comment to the Public Discussion online about this agenda item
- Contacting the Board of Supervisors or Sheriff Jim Hart (please consider copying us at email@example.com)
- Writing a Letter to the Editor
- Emailing firstname.lastname@example.org (we will respect your privacy and only share your personal story if you specifically give us permission)
- Friending Sin Barras on Facebook
This contract renewal set to happen on September 13th is an excellent opportunity to put the spotlight on the need for change to protect those in custody, but it is not the end of the line; this is an ongoing issue. The community must hold the government accountable for the health and safety of people in custody.
Here is a list of resources to help you to take action:
Members of the Board of Supervisors:
701 Ocean Street, Room 500
Santa Cruz, CA, 95060
The phone number is for the general office and they can transfer you to the individual, the emails are individual.
- John Leopold, 1st District (Live Oak, Soquel, the Summit Area, Santa Cruz Gardens, and Carbonera) – email@example.com
- Zach Friend, 2nd District (Aptos, La Selva Beach, Corralitos, Seacliff, Freedom and portions of the cities of Capitola and Watsonville) – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ryan Coonerty 3rd District (from 7th Avenue in Live Oak through the City of Santa Cruz and up the North Coast to San Mateo County, including the communities of Davenport and Bonny Doon) – email@example.com
- Greg Caput 4th District (most of Watsonville and much of the greater Pajaro Valley) – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Bruce McPherson 5th District (Felton, Ben Lomond, Brookdale, Boulder Creek, Lompico, Zayante, Las Cumbres, Mount Hermon, most of Scotts Valley, a small part of Santa Cruz, and Paradise Park) – email@example.com
5200 Soquel Avenue
Santa Cruz, CA 95062
Jim Hart- Sheriff
Jeremy Verinsky- Undersheriff
The next “Coffee with the Sheriff” is November 7th, from 9 to 10am at:
South County Service Center
790 Green Valley Road, Watsonville
Letters to the editor:
Santa Cruz Sentinel-
- There will be a form that tells you exactly what to submit on the page. 150 words max.
Good Times- Letters@GoodTimes.SC
- They want an original submission, not a copy of one sent to another publication. Please include your name and email address. They will not publish your email but may edit the letter for length, clarity etc. Keep it short.
Register / Pajaronian in Watsonville-
You must register and sign in using a password they send by email, then click on:
http://www.register-pajaronian.com/v2_contact_us.php?heading=4# and on the right-most tab